Did you think I’d given up on my blog? Yeah? So did I!
They say start things as you mean to go on and if 22nd Janaury was anything to go by, I’ll mostly be enjoying great nights out with the best of friends, scoring Bullseyes and losing things…
… So far this year, I’ve lost (and sometimes found again) a pair of shoes, a set of keys, two Oyster cards, one debit card and a phone charger cable.
Something I didn’t plan to lose but I’m glad I did however, was that 10km race time of 1h 1min. At the London Winter 10km I managed to take 5 minutes off my personal best which now stands at an unbelievable 56 minutes! It was 6 degrees and raining the whole time too.
Since then my running has really slowed again. Although I’ve managed to stick to my weight training and squeeze in a few yoga sessions, finding time to run and not lose energy has been an issue. So please, if you see me, feed me or offer me your shoulder to take a nap. If there is one person I can rely on to make sure I eat well it’s Sam! Where there’s a brunch Sam will make sure it’s tried and tested 😉. This was her French toast at Chrisptopher’s.
Next up, work. Man did those big clients come knocking in Jan! Lots of new business pitching and big projects kicking off at the start of this year has meant things have been a bit crazy chez Battenhall. Good crazy. Really really good crazy. But I’m not gonna lie. It has worn me out a little. Month two is going to have to be a little more focused to get the life work balance back on track.
Last but not least, let’s talk about travel. Thamy and I headed off to Germany for a Wiesbaden weekender with Pat and Astrid, who we met in Belize. We drank absinthe, made snow angels in the garden, ate chimney bread, played cards against humanity and so much more in just two days.
Travel really feeds my soul. This year I’ve already got a full line up of trips with Japan and Alaska coming up next. I might even have a few tasty work trips ahead too. Whatever happens, I am not going to be losing my passport anytime soon!!!
What a year 35 has been! So much change, so much adventure, so much fun!
I’m not gonna lie after 260 something days blogging straight I started to lose the passion for sharing the highlights of my days. That said, it’s longer than I’ve ever kept a diary. And, it’s taught me I now have more fun doing stuff off line than I have done in quite some time.
In no particular order, these are just some of the incredible moments of my 35th year:
- Running Paris Marathon with my brother and sister
- Swimming with sharks and without a life jacket in Caye Caulker
- Surviving caving in Belize
- Moving house and living on my own
- Spending five days exploring Copenhagen
- Celebrating Emma and James getting married, finally!
- Running Reading half marathon with my Dad and sister
- Making some amazing new friends near and far
- Battenhall winning loads of awards
- Flying a tiny plane over the Blue Hole in Belize
- My day out with Olivia and Tom
- Learning welsh songs with Kara
- Vlogging daily for BattenVEDA in April and most of August
- Holi Festival with Samira
- Nella’s citizenship weekend in London
- Going to the Circus workshop with Thamy
- Finding my Twinny, Tamsin
- Everything about Flight Club, especially slushies
- Being part of a marketing campaign for the Brain Tumour Charity
- Dancing solo at Sam and Ian’s wedding
- Finding out Nicky was in remission
- Going to Alice in Wonderland in the Vaults
- Battenhall’s team night out at the Three Johns
- The day the ‘websites’ died and we worked 22hours straight as a team to revive them all
- Working with my PT Chloe to get the best arms I’ve ever had
- Hosting the Florette blogger event with The Lean Machines
- Being featured in The Next Web on Peach’s launch day
- Daily WhatsApps with the crazies
- Being arty in Amsterdam
- Notting Hill Carinval with Laura
- Running a 28min 5km after being ill for three days
- Christmas Eve with Emma, And, Cassie and Daniel
- Stumbling upon the Delorean on a run
- Going to Devon with Gemma to do Yoga and buy fresh berries on the way
- Finding out Janette was preggers
- Lunch with Esther being mBrained
And that my friends is just a snapshot!
Will there be a Project 36? Most likely 😊
I’ve been in a bit of a bubble lately. ⚪️
My mind wanders a lot and I’m constantly distracted by ‘What if?’ and ‘What next?’ moments. And for all those ‘Whats’ I then ask myself ‘Why?’. Dizzy yet? Yeah, me too. 🤔
Perhaps it’s because I have lot to think about? Perhaps it’s because I have more time to myself? Perhaps it’s because I took time out of the merry-go-round of the city for a short while and I can now see my life for what it is? 🎠
Things aren’t bad, or sad or wrong. I just feel sometimes as though I’m on a journey to a destination unknown and I need to make plans to understand where I’m headed. I just don’t where that might be just yet. 🛤
I’m talking nonsense, I know. But I’m trying to make sense of this strange wave of uncertainty that is my normality. 🌸
We’re all nutters! 🙆🏼
How do you put up with us?? 😘
As 2015 comes to a close and everyone makes promises on social media to do amazing things next year, let us not forget our achievements and discoveries in the last twelve months.
Of the many things I’ve learned this year during Project 35, some are just for me to know 😉 but these are the top ten things I want to share with you all today:
- I don’t need to share every moment of my life on the Internet 😱
- Traveling brings out the best in me 🌴
- I run faster in the Winter and Spring ❄️
- Dancing makes me happy 💃🏼
- A minion is one of many little yellow creatures that live to serve an evil master and likes bananas 🍌
- I like to lift 🏋🏻
- Daring to do things that scare me does make me stronger 💪🏻
- I love Denmark 🇩🇰
- I’m going to run London Marathon 😀
- There is an emoji for almost everything 🦄
What did you learn about yourself in 2015?
As for next year…
It’s just tomorrow. Another day. Another opportunity to do something awesome.
The only resolution you need is to make is one to create opportunities for yourself if you really want to something happen.
Don’t wait 😊
I’m gymmin’ it, gymmin’ it, gymmin’ it! Gymmin’ it like that! 😉
I’ve been strength training with Chloe not once but twice this week as get into my crazy marathon training schedule. Running will start again on Sunday and then it’s a gym, yoga, run mix every week until April!
Here are my promises to you during my training:
- I will fill your social media feeds with my running activities on social media at least twice a week
- I will talk to you about my training progress at least once every time I see you
- I will buy new fitness clothes and accessories because I ‘need’ them
- I will complain if I get sick or injured
- I will be highly excitable if I get any new personal bests
- I will eat a ridiculous amount of food
- I will get annoyed with tourists and traffic lights on a regular basis
- I will be running on endorphins
With all that it mind I sincerely apologise in advance 😉
May the force be with you!
Is it possible to be jet lagged after a week of being home from your holidays? I’d like to confirm that yes, it is!
3am staring at the ceiling scenarios are normal for me at the moment. In Belize time is around 9pm so it makes sense. I’d quite like to reset now though please 🙏🏻.
My Monday morning started like a small tired plane trying to take off but once I left the Tarmac things got a lot better. A productive day at the office, a good client meeting, some long distance banter and a terrifying amount of Whatsapps with the girls – how do we have some much to talk about???
In spite of my jet lag complaints I’m still planning my next trip already with Japan, Peru and Alaska top of the list for the majors and San Fran, Switzerland and Iceland hitting the minors. The list goes on and on and on… Let’s see where 2016 takes me.
For a girl that normally takes more than two thousand photos on a holiday I was pretty impressed to discover that between an iPhone and a DSLR, I’d taken less than 400!
Why so few? (Okay I know it’s still a lot but ya know 😉) Because I focused on seeing Belize and Guatemala with my eyes and not my camera. No one can take away the memories that matter in your mind. Photos however, often get saved and forgotten. Worse still they can be lost.
Anyway. Enough of the deep stuff. They are now sorted, cropped and approved, and I’ve now posted a bunch of them on Facebook. I’m also ready to pick the best for my blog posts over on StephsBubble.com in due course and share a few shoefies on my new Instagram account, shoefiesbysteph. 😉
Going through them all reminded me just how much we’d done in just two short weeks. Stepping out of my comfort zone and taking others with me.
There’s a whole world out there guys. Don’t sit on your laurels. Get out there and enjoy it in real life, not just via the Internet! Peace out X